A Diverse Array of Large Cent Designs
Throughout the production of U.S. Large Cents, collectors can appreciate several distinct design types, each representing a different era in American coinage. These designs include:
- Flowing Hair (1793) - Designed by Henry Voigt, the Flowing Hair Large Cent features Lady Liberty with flowing hair on the obverse and a chain with 15 links on the reverse.
- Liberty Cap (1793-1796) - Designed by Joseph Wright, the Liberty Cap Large Cent showcases Lady Liberty wearing a Phrygian cap on the obverse and a laurel wreath on the reverse.
- Draped Bust (1796-1807) - Designed by Robert Scot, the Draped Bust Large Cent features a more refined portrait of Lady Liberty with a draped bust on the obverse and a laurel wreath on the reverse.
- Classic Head (1808-1814) - Designed by John Reich, the Classic Head Large Cent depicts Lady Liberty wearing a headband inscribed with "LIBERTY" on the obverse and a redesigned laurel wreath on the reverse.
- Matron Head (1816-1839) - A modified version of the Classic Head design, the Matron Head Large Cent showcases Lady Liberty with a more mature appearance.
- Braided Hair (1839-1857) - Designed by Christian Gobrecht, the Braided Hair Large Cent features a final redesign of Lady Liberty's portrait, with braided hair and a more prominent coronet.
The Large Cent's Historical Significance
As one of the first coins produced by the United States Mint, Large Cents hold a special place in the history of American coinage. Collecting these coins offers a tangible connection to the early days of the United States and the beginnings of its coinage system.
A Wealth of Collecting Opportunities
U.S. Large Cents offer collectors a wealth of opportunities to pursue various collecting goals. From assembling complete sets of each design type to hunting for key dates and rare varieties, Large Cents provide a diverse and engaging numismatic experience.
Explore the captivating world of U.S. Large Cents and uncover the designs, stories, and history that have made these coins an integral part of American numismatics. Whether you're a seasoned collector or just beginning your journey, Large Cents offer a rewarding collecting experience that will deepen your appreciation for the art and history of American coinage. Begin or enhance your collection today and create a numismatic legacy to be treasured for generations to come.